Pantone Color of the Year 2023
Viva Magenta 18-1750 expresses a new signal of strength. The crimson red tone, a balance between warm and cool, has a connection to how lives changed during the pandemic. Rather than stepping back into what was once normal, we can take the opportunity to write a new narrative.
This has a familiar spin. Last year’s Very Peri 17-3938, the warmest of the blue hues, encouraged us to embrace new possibilities as we came out of isolation, with physical and digital lives having merged in new ways.
Here, we’ll uncover the meaning behind the decision to make Viva Magenta the color of the year, as well as the color’s origins and how you can use it at home.
The Meaning Behind Viva Magenta
During the selection process, Pantone observed lifestyle trends. They found there is a growing appreciation for the natural world as people balance their digital and physical lives. There are more florals and plants in homes and more restorative outdoor spaces, and there is a renewed enjoyment in sports, travel, and outdoor recreation.
Viva Magenta’s Origins
The color is inspired by the red hue of cochineal, a natural dye made from pulverizing certain scaled insects. Pantone’s color merges the strength and warmth of nature with the rich, open horizons of the digital world.
People have new opportunities to express themselves in the metaverse, and Viva Magenta inspires confidence and bravery.
Entering the Magentaverse
After the people at Pantone determined what the color should be this year, they passed this information along to the design firm Huge, where text descriptors of the hue were entered into the AI art generator Midjourney. This created images of an immersive world Pantone calls the Magentaverse.
Pantone and Huge collaborated with ARTECHOUSE, an innovative leader in the field of digital and experiential art, to design a unique exhibition. For a limited time, attendees can explore this world first-hand at the ARTECHOUSE locations in Miami Beach and New York City.
How to Use Viva Magenta in Your Home
The Pantone color of the year encourages creativity and self-expression. Both powerful and empowering, this hue has an undeniable allure. A little goes a long way, so here’s how you can use Viva Magenta at home.
- Add visual warmth by using Viva Magenta as an accent color on home decor pieces, such as pillows and hanging picture frames.
- Incorporate flowers inside or outside your living space. Options include Spilled Wine Weigela, Girard’s Crimson Azalea, and dark pink New Guinea Impatiens.
- Pair Viva Magenta with deep contrasting colors, like charcoal brown or sage green, to tone down its intensity.
- Put up wallpaper that has a touch of Viva Magenta, as painting entire walls in this color may be too heavy for the room. Compliment with earth tones or pink and red.
- Try it on textiles, like quilts and throw blankets. Keeping the color portable allows you to decide how much of the color you want and to easily change your mind about where it goes.
Express Yourself With Your New Home
This new year is about being creative and expressing yourself. If buying a new home is on the horizon, the experts at The Massey Team at Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Select Properties can help. Call us today at (618) 791-5024 or (618) 791-9298, or check out our listings!
Share This Post
|Previous Post||Next Post|